What is a check hold (Reg CC)?
The length of the delay is counted in business days from the day of your deposit. Every day is a business day except Saturdays, Sundays, and federal holidays. The length of the delay varies depending on the type of deposit and is explained below.
Same Day Availability
Funds from the following deposits presented to us will be given same day availability:
- U.S. Treasury Checks that are payable to you
- Wire Transfers, including preauthorized credits, such as Social Security benefits and payroll payments.
- Checks drawn on a Smart Financial Credit Union member’s checking account.
- Texas state and local government checks that are made payable to you.
- Cashier’s, Certified and Teller’s Checks that are made payable to you.
- U.S. Postal Money Orders
- Federal Reserve Bank and Federal Home Loan Bank Checks made payable to you.
- First $100 of the day’s other check deposits
Other Check Deposits
The length of the delay of availability of funds for other check deposits depends on whether a check is a local or non-local check. To see whether a check is local or non-local, look at the routing number on the check:1010 3010 1011 3011 1012 3012 1019 3019 1030 3030 1031 3031 1039 3039 1110 3110 1111 3111 1113 3113 1119 3119 1120 3120 1122 3122 1123 3123 1130 3130 1131 3131 1140 3140 1149 3149 1163 3163
If the first four digits of the routing number (1234 in the examples above) are 1130, 1131, 3130, 3131, 1110, 3110, 1111, 1119, 3111 or 3119, then the check is a local check. Otherwise, the check is non- local. Some checks are marked “Payable Through” and have a four- digit or nine-digit number nearby. For these checks, use the four digit (or first four digits of the nine-digit number) not the routing number on the bottom of the check to determine if these checks are local or non-local. Our policy is to make funds from local and non-local checks available as follows:
Local: The first $100 from a deposit will be available on the same business day as the day of your deposit. The remaining funds will be available on the second business day after the day of your deposit.
For example, if you deposit a local check of $700 on a Monday, $100 of the deposit is available on Monday. The remaining $600 is available on Wednesday.
Non-Local: The first $100 from a deposit will be available on the same business day as the day of your deposit. The remaining funds will be available on the fifth business day after your deposit.
For example, if you deposit a $700 non-local check on a Monday, $100 of the deposit is available on Monday. The remaining $600 is available on Monday of the following week.
Exceptions May Apply
Funds you deposit by check may be delayed for a longer period under the following circumstances:
- We believe a check you deposit will not be paid. In this case, you may have previously deposited checks that have been returned unpaid.
- You deposit checks totaling more than $5,000 on any one day.
- You redeposit a check that has been returned unpaid.
- You have overdrawn your account repeatedly in the last six months.
- There is an emergency, such as failure of communications or computer equipment.
- In the event that there is evidence of a check kiting activity or a forgery on an account.
We will notify you if we delay your availability to withdraw funds for any of these reasons, and we will tell you when the funds will be available. They will generally be available no later than the eleventh business day after the day of your deposit.
Special Rules for New Accounts
If you are a new member, the following special rules will apply during the first 30 days your account is open.
Funds from electronic direct deposits to your account will be available on the day we receive the deposit. Funds from the deposits of cash, wire transfers and the first $5,000 of a day’s total deposits of Cashier’s, Certified, Teller’s, Travelers and Federal, State and Local Government Checks will be available on the business day of your deposit if the deposit meets certain conditions. For example, the checks must be payable to you. The excess over $5,000 will be available on the ninth business day after the day of your deposit. If your deposit of these checks (other than a U.S. Treasury Check) is not made in person to one of our employees, the first $5,000 will not be available until the second business day after the day of your deposit.
Funds from all other check deposits will be available on the seventh business day after the day of your deposit.